Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Stoned

I finally made a decision for the counter tops. It took a long time. Not only are there a million options to choose from, but counters are pretty much permanent. It's not like picking paint, knowing you can just paint over it if you don't like it.

I went with granite, which I didn't expect and actually shied away from. Granite has become so over used lately that it's almost expected when remodeling. I looked at slate, limestone, tile, paper (really cool use of recycled paper), concrete, corian, and so forth. When all was said and done, granite is really, really beautiful, holds up the best, and requires the least maintenance.

For the bathroom counter I picked a very dramatic piece of rock, which also surprised me. During the time the house has been torn up, the bathroom concept has changed dramatically. Originally I envisioned a somewhat conservative bath, incorporating some long-lost Victorian details, and muted colors. It has become quite a modern and sophisticated "spa" room, with beautiful glass tile, and now this focal point of stone.



For the laundry and half-bath I picked a more subdued stone. It picks up the existing colors in the house as well as the new cabinets. At KPW's request there are a lot of red tones, which makes for a beautiful piece.


I hope this all turns out as good as it looks in my mind's eye.

No comments: