Wednesday, February 25, 2009

MARDI GRAS!


Okay, I just had the BEST WEEKEND EVER! I attended my first Mardi Gras with a great group of people and it was a perfect weekend filled with lively conversation, dining, dancing, bead whoring and drive-through daiquiri bars. I'm hooked and can't wait for next year.

To my surprise, Mardi Gras starts January 6 each year and lasts until the midnight before Ash Wednesday. Additionally, it is part of Carnival and doesn't just happen in New Orleans, but state wide. Who knew?

We converged on Lafayette to attend the Apollo Ball thrown by The Mystic Krewe of Apollo de Lafayette. Which got me wondering, what are Krewes? Bottom-line, they're the most important part of Carnival, being the "behind the camara guys" in charge of a lot of pageantry.

You can check out all the photos here, but I want to share a few of the best.

First off, we looked GOOD!



We met some great people,





We drank,





And danced,






Sucked Sausage,


And whored ourselves for beads.




And then there's the next day,


I had a great time and made some great new friends. I can't thank Bill and Jes enough for planning the weekend. Special thanks to Jes for playing chauffeur most of the time!!

To finish the weekend off right, while catching a flight in Dallas, I was able to reconnect with a high school friend I haven't seen in 22 years! Thanks for making the drive Susan, it was GREAT seeing you again, even if I did almost miss the plane!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, you didn't REALLY almost miss your plane, did you? That would have made me feel bad. And then laugh. And then make me feel bad again. I could have sat out in the car and talked to you for another five hours -- no, longer.

Your pictures are great. Y'all really DO look good! Have to ask, on the picture where you said you met some great people.....why is your hand on that woman's breast that you just met? :)

And look at your giant van in the background of that morning after picture! Hilarious! That looks like way too much fun.

Enjoyed your pics. It was great re-connecting with you. Let's make sure it's not another 22 years before we do that. I don't want to figure out how old I would be then.

Steve said...

Actually, in the other picture of us, Loyd and I are totally feeling up poor Heather. When gay men drink we like boob, what can I say?

Anonymous said...

Well, now -- I just don't understand that. Nope, not at all.

Steve said...

It's like penis envy, but "boob envy" manifests itself much more tastefully.

Anonymous said...

I just cannot think of anything to say in reply to that.....I got nothing.......totally blank.
Very unusual. ;)