Saturday, December 6, 2008

Remodeling Again - Week 1

After the sewer lateral blew up, and the plumbers had to tear out our floors, we decided to go for the long-discussed Bathroom and Laundry Room remodel. Though the process began 8 months ago, we just got the permits and started demolition! We're using my design and with the guidance of an hourly carpenter, my friend Tim, I'm doing the work myself. God help us all...

Before


Week 1
As expected, 100 years of redo on this house left a maze of wiring and plumbing. The first step was to get the plumber and electrician to move everything. Of course the old laundry shack was the nerve center of the house, so the job was extensive.



During the removal of the deck our electricians threatened to walk off the job because of the noise. I felt the need to remind them that they were, indeed, electricians and this was a construction site. They were welcome to walk off the job; in this economy it wouldn't be hard to find an electrician that wants my $10K and is willing to buy earplugs. In the contracting hierarchy I think that electricians are definitely the Primadonnas of the lot.




Tim and I, hard at work. We started the jack-hammer the day after the electricians were ready to strike. Something I said must have changed their minds; they didn't make a peep about the noise.


Buster, who has been staying with us, had enough of the fucking jack-hammer!

2 comments:

Holly said...

I am glad you did a construction post...I was wondering how it was going.

AJS said...

Keep posting updates, it is fun to follow and watch!!!